Beaufort Today -

Burton Fire District: Neighbor helps save Seabrook home

  • Courtesy of Burton Fire District Burton Fire District officials say every home should a working fire extinguisher that is fewer than five years old and mounted in an easily accessible location.

The Burton Fire District says a Seabrook home was saved July 4 after the homeowner alerted a neighbor who quelled flames inside an oven before they could do any damage.

Firefighters responded to the report of a house fire on Delany Circle in Seabrook just before 5 p.m., a news release said. They found light smoke inside the residence but no flames thanks to the neighbor’s use of a fire extinguisher.

The fire started in the oven, which had been self-cleaning. Firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to ensure the heat did not start a fire in the walls and also assisted the family by removing smoke from the home.

Fire district officials said every home should a working fire extinguisher that is fewer than five years old and mounted in an easily accessible location, preferably by an exit.

The district provides free fire extinguisher training for residents and encourages training for young adults.

Comments